Frusenex or Furosemide is a fast-acting diuretic used for edema of the lungs and brain, impaired circulation. It has a diuretic effect.
The drug Furosemide is indicated for:
- the development of stagnation in the large and small circles of blood circulation, which are caused by heart failure;
- swelling of the lungs and brain;
- edema in preeclampsia and eclampsia;
- cirrhosis of the liver with symptoms of portal hypertension;
- barbiturate poisoning;
- hypertension (including arresting hypertensive crises).
When using the drug Furosemide may develop the following adverse reactions:
- hyperemia (redness) of the skin;
- itchy skin;
- interstitial nephritis;
- reversible decrease in hearing acuity.
In addition, as a result of increased diuresis, the emergence of thirst, dizziness, muscle weakness, depression.
With the use of the drug Furosemide, the patient may also develop hyperuricemia (an increase in the concentration of uric acid in the blood), hypokalemia, hyperglycemia (an increase in the level of glucose in the blood), and uricosuria (an increase in the concentration of uric acid in the urine). In the case of side effects, it is necessary to reduce the dose of furosemide or to cancel this drug.
Dosage and administration
The drug is taken orally before meals. The dose depends on the course and severity of the disease.
Adults. For edema of cardiac, renal, or hepatic origin:
- moderate state: 1/2 -1 tablet per day;
- a serious condition: 2-3 tablets per day in 1 or 2 doses, or 3-4 tablets per day in 2 doses.
With elevated blood pressure in patients with chronic renal failure: in combination with other antihypertensive drugs (renin-angiotensin system antagonists), the recommended usual doses are 20-120 mg per day in 1 or 2 doses. The change in blood pressure should be carefully controlled when furosemide is used together with other antihypertensive drugs, especially during initial therapy. To prevent an excessive drop in blood pressure, the dose of other antihypertensive drugs should be reduced by at least 50% when furosemide is added to the main treatment.
Children. For the treatment of edema, the daily dose is 1-2 mg / kg of body weight in 1 -2 doses.
Use in elderly patients. The choice of dose and its regulation in elderly patients should be carried out with caution, usually starting with the lower level of the therapeutic range of doses.